Butler on the Web
Complete Works by Butler
- The White edition (2006) of The Works of Bishop Butler (PDF) is available here.
- Well done facsimile of the first edition (1736) of Butler's Analogy of Religion.
- The Carter edition of The Analogy of Religion is on CCEL.
- Attractive transcription of the 1827 Hilliard (Boston) edition of Fifteen Sermons Preached at the Rolls. Also available at CCEL.
Facsimiles at the Making of American site
- The analogy of religion, etc. With an introductory essay by Albert Barnes. 20th edition: lxi, 272 p. 19 cm. New York. M.H. Newman & co., 1851. Contains a life by Dr. Kippis, a preface by Bp. Halifax, and Two brief Dissertations.
- The analogy of religion, natural and revealed, to the constitution and course of nature, With an analysis of the work. By Rev. B. F. Tefft, 341 p. 19cm. Cincinnati, Poe & Hitchcock, 1863.
- The analogy of religion to the constitution ... 17th ed, 360 p. 19 1/2 cm. Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott & co., 1873.
- The works of the Right Reverend Father in God, Joseph Butler ... To which is prefixed, an account of the character and writings of the author. By Samuel Halifax .. 2 volumes in 1. 24 cm. New York, R. Carter, 1873? Each volume has also special t.-p.v. 1. The analogy of religion, natural and revealed, to the constitution and course of nature. Of personal identity. Of the nature of virtue.--v. 2. Sermons.Imperfect copy: t.-p. lacking; binder's title: Works. Correspondence with Clarke
- Hobart's analysis of Bishop Butler's Analogy of religion, natural and revealed, to the constitution and course of nature. With notes. Also, Craufurd's Questions for examination. Revised and adapted to the use of schools. By Charles E. West, xii, -228 p. 17 cm. New York, Harper & brothers, 1859.
Google editions in full or partial text
- For most recent material search at Google Book Search.
Excerpts from Butler's Works
- Fifteen Sermons, Sermon XI
- Sermon preached before the House of Lords in the Abbey Church of Westminster, on Friday, January 30, 1740-41. Being the day appointed to be observed as the day of the Martyrdom of King Charles I. (posted by Project Canterbury)
- Human Nature and Other Sermons as posted on Project Gutenberg. Not the best edition.
- Analogy of Religion, Introduction, Chapters i, ii and Conclusion of Part I in a crude transcription.
- Analogy of Religion, Dissertation I, "Of Personal Identity." (available from Project Canterbury).
- Analogy of Religion, Dissertation I, "Of Personal Identity." (posted by Project Canterbury)
References to Butler
- Encyclopædia Britannica entry, "Butler, Joseph."
- Columbia Encyclopedia, from Infoplease.com
- Dictionary at Infoplease.com
- Jame's Kiefer's biographical sketch of St. Joseph Butler, is
www.satucket.com/lectionary (Charles Wohlers' Lectionary Resources)
- Article on Butler in the Philosophical Dictionary
- Juridical Apologists 1600-2000 AD (PDF), a bio-bibliographical essay by Philip Johnson. PDF reflects version available October 10, 2007.
- Handbook to the Cathedrals of England
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Papers on Butler
- JSTOR is a fee-based service that provides access to many articles about Butler. The following links are to articles available for free.
- The Vindication of Butler's Philosophy of Religion by J.R. Lucas
- From Age to Age the Same: The Providential Ethics of Joseph Butler by Scott Erbe (PDF reflects version available June 27, 2006).
- Timothy Suttor (PDF) on Butler in the English Tradition
- Butler on Virtue, Self-Interest and Human Nature by Ralph Wedgwood
Notes on Butler and Other References
- Analogy and Apology: A Study of Berkeley, Butler, Wesley and Hume
- Lectionary Page for June 16
- Mary Lyon's notes
- letter by Louisa Dickinson
- From Stow's History of Mount Holyoke: Ch. 9, Ch. 13, Ch. 19
- "Journal Letter" by Ellen P. Bowers, Mount Holyoke
- Archival reference to Edward Hitchcock's notebooks at Amherst. See Series 7, Subsection G.
- Steven Darwall's notes on Butler (University of Michigan)
lecture 1 , lecture 2 , lecture 3 , lecture 4.
- Timothy Sedgwick's notes on Butler (Virginia Theological Seminary) (PDF reflects version available December 25, 2004).
- Butler's analogy turns up on the apologetics examination given by the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (see question 5).
- Anderson's John Anderson's lecture notes include many references to Butler.
- 'A' Level Philosophy and Ethics Notes Conscience according to Butler
- Butler is referenced in Tracts
for the Times, Number 80:
"In the use, for instance, of figurative expressions to persons who did not understand the meaning of them. To this we cannot but apply the remark of Bishop Butler, where he observes the vast difference between Holy Scripture, and any human composition in this respect, that in the latter our object is by words to convey most fitly our meaning to others; we cannot say this of GOD'S written word. It may have other objects quite of another kind, which its very obscurity serves, better than its distinct meaning would do."
- Carolyn Ray on Butler and Locke
- Boardman on Butler and Egoism
- Elmer Duncan's listing in his ethics course (archive content provided by the Internet Archive) and some additional remarks (PDF reflects version available July 5, 2007).
- Reflections Upon "Butler's Analogy of Religion." (poem)
- Butler at Dickinson College anti-Butler humor
- Ralph Wedgwood's notes on Butler
- Barry Curtis compares Butler and Wittgenstein on altruism (PDF reflects version available December 30, 2005).
- Hamilton Literary and Theological Institution Course of Instruction, 1843-44
- Vasu Marti sites Butler on animal souls
Searchable Blogs with References to Butler
- Brandon's Siris by a student of Early Modern.